The Zambezi Explorer Vessel
Launched in 2013, the custom-designed five-star cruise vessel takes guests on a luxury trip along the Zambezi River. The Zambezi Explorer has three decks to choose from. Some people prefer to be high and have a wider vista from the uppermost deck, others prefer to be closer to the water, to get a closer look at the wildlife and birds on the river banks.
There is a different level of quality and price between the decks, so you need to choose which one you prefer. The two lower decks provide a luxury service where guests can choose from an exciting range of beverages and cocktails as well as a selection of delicious snacks. The ‘Signature Deck’ is the uppermost level and it is pure extravagance with gourmet hors d’oeuvres and premium beverages served from a private bar. VIP guests can relax in the comfort of the deep-set couches and enjoy the pleasure of luxury service.
Harvesting the abundant sunshine, almost the entire onboard facilities are solar-powered. It has wheelchair access and wheelchair-friendly facilities. The Zambezi Explorer Company caters for regular cruises, private functions, conferences and weddings.
Guest are collected from their hotels and transferred to the Zambezi Explorer jetty site. Once everyone is on board, the captain fires up the barely audible engines and starts to cruise around the islands of the upper section of the Zambezi river. As with other cruise operators, the cruise boat stays well away from the Falls themselves, 4 km (2.49 miles) away.
Such a large body of water understandably attracts a whole host of wildlife which comes from the often dry interior to quench their thirst. The river is home to great pods of hippo, which are now accustomed to these cruises which can get close to them without any danger. The more sinister-looking crocodiles are regularly seen basking on the banks or gliding through the water. Elephants, giraffe, buffalo, waterbuck, kudu, impala, baboons and monkeys, along with a plethora of exotic birds are regular sightings.
Zambezi Explorer Cruises
The Zambezi explorer company offer breakfast, lunch, sunset cruises and dinner cruises. For more information about these options please refer to our Zambezi River Cruise page. They have a total of four boats of varying sizes which we have detailed below.
The Zambezi Explorer, which is the flagship and the largest in the fleet, with a maximum capacity of 150 passengers.
The Ma Roberts is a double-decker boat, with a maximum capacity of 70 passengers. This boat is mainly used for dinner cruises.
Zambezi Reflections has a single deck and a capacity of 34 passengers. This is also used mainly for dinner cruises and is a dedicated floating restaurant
The Kalunda is a small boat catering for only 6 passengers, so is ideal for couples, small groups or families, that are after a private and intimate cruise.
What you will need to bring
• National Parks Fees (currently US$10 per adult)
• Activity voucher/ticket from your agent
• Camera and/or binoculars (recommended)
• Smart casual dress (warm clothing in winter)
• Sunglasses and hat
• Insect/mosquito repellent
• Any medication that you might need
What you need to know
• Morning cruises -The boat departs from the jetty at approximately 06h15 (winter) or 06h00 (summer) and returns approximately 08h30 (winter) and 08h15 (summer)
• Sunset and cruises -The boat departs from the jetty at approximately 16h00 (winter) or 16h30 (summer) and returns approximately 18h00 (winter) and 18h30 (summer)
• Sunset and dinner cruises -The boat departs from the jetty at approximately 17h00 (winter) or 17h30 (summer) and returns approximately 20h00 (winter) and 20h30 (summer)
• Pick-up from your hotel can be up to one hour before the departure time from the jetty. The exact timing depends on which hotel you are staying at. We will confirm this when you make your booking through us.
• Transfers to and from the various hotels/lodges are included.
• Snacks, dinner and drinks are included
• Children (3-11 years) pay 50% of the adult rate. Children are welcome on river cruises. See other family-friendly activities.