Miombo Cottage max 6pax
Miombo Cottage is double storey, with the main bedroom downstairs en suite. Upstairs are four single beds, dorm style. The cottage has two bathrooms, lounge with jetmaster fireplace and open plan dining area and kitchen.
Msasa Cottage max 2pax
Msasa has a large open verandah and is next door to Miombo. Groups of six or more ideally book Msasa and Miombo – book well in advance to ensure both cottages are available for you.
Mzanje max 3pax
This little cabin has a jetmaster fireplace in the lounge, large kitchen, one shower and loo. Small outside sitting area and stone braai.
Facilities & What to bring
- Your cottage is fully equipped for Self Catering. The kitchen has both gas and electric cookers and an outside stone braai in the garden. Firewood is supplied for your braai and for the fireplace inside the cottage. However if you are used to lighting charcoal and prefer it, you will need to bring your own. Charcoal is not available in Chimanimani. Fridge, freezer, kettle, toaster and microwave are available but standard.
- Mobile phone reception is good. Econet, and NetOne. Wifi hotspot is also available.
- Bring insect repellent for evening times. Chimanimani is considered malaria free but it will be good to just carry a repellent. Mosquito nets are provided over your bed to deter bugs attracted by lights.
- Bring a torch. Square pin adaptors are available on request.
- Sheets and towels are provided and your cottage is serviced daily if you wish. You do need to bring your own soaps and shampoo.
- Chimanimani water is better than drinkable, it is delicious. However, as with most of Zimbabwe the municipal supply remains erratic. The team at Frog & Fern work on a daily basis keeping full tanks at the cottages but we recommend you carry a 5 litre container for your vehicle and/or walks because you may not always find water elsewhere in the village.
- If you can possibly bring a 4×4 you will be thankful. Frog & Fern is only 2.2km from the tar. Be warned though – there is about 300 metres of road leading up a nasty little hill to Frog & Fern that will require very careful driving. There are unlimited lovely walks right from your cottage door – so you need not use your vehicle again until departure.
- Bring your favorite foods, beers and wine. In the village you can buy the absolute basics only. Bring your own braai meat. While beers and soft drinks can be found you are advised to bring your own wine and spirits with you.
- Haroni Botanical Reserve
- Muhohwa, Haroni and Mukurupira waterfalls
- Visit the hut up Chimanimani Mountains
- Picnic and Camping at Bridal Veil Falls in Eland Sanctuary
- Visit the Corner
- Village tours in Chikukwa village
- Nature walks in the national parks.
- Visit the Hot springs in Nyanyadzi
- Visit the Birchenough bridge
- Mtn hiking
- Scenic drives
- River trailing
- Rock paintings
- Educational visits to Shoe polish making.
- Timber making industry.
- Tea industry.
- Five-day hiking trail (Mbira trail )
- Cultural tours/village walks